Welcome to my little green patch. I hope you are blessed, inspired, and even tickled by what you find here!

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Through the Eyes of a Chiild

I always find it interesting to hear what my kids think. This time of year is full of memories of Christmases past. Memories of what my kids have felt and thought about Christmas.

Some of the funniest memories I have are of my son, Damian Jr. When he was maybe 3 years old he got up on Christmas Eve, saw the wrapped gifts under the tree, and decided to unwrap them all! When I discovered him, I made him help me wrap them again, explaining that he couldn't open them until morning. Well, sure enough, he woke up before everyone, and (you guested it) unwrapped all the presents again! Once more, I discovered my little cherub sitting in a pile of ripped wrapping paper. I quickly wrapped the gifts once more, just in time for our family gathering and the official unwrapping. Every Christmas Damian still has a hard time waiting until morning, but he has learned the importance of waiting.

The next year, my husband was talking to Damian Jr. about the real meaning of Christmas. Of course, every year Damian had heard the Christmas story, about the shepherds and angels, Mary and Joseph, and Jesus' birth. Dad was reminding Damian that THAT is what Christmas is all about. Without missing a beat, Damian Jr replied, "No it's not! It's about the presents!"

These memories came flooding back as I walked around Wal-Mart with Dakota last week. We had been delayed by a flat tire which was being repaired in the tire center. I had already determined that just because I found myself in Wal-Mart didn't mean I had to buy anything. So we walked around, waiting for our van. Dakota would look at this and look at that. Finally, he found a Spiderman watch that he really wanted. I told him that we were not going to buy anything today, but maybe he would get it for Christmas. To that he replied, "No, Mommy. Wal-Mart is not for wishing. Wal-Mart is for buying!" It was in that moment that a spark was lit for a simpler kind of Christmas.

It is so easy to let Christmas become about the stuff. On this eve of December, the beginning of the busiest month of the year, I am planning to make this Christmas about more than the stuff. I want this Christmas to be about the GOOD STUFF......Jesus, loving Him, and my family.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, what a good catchphrase! I think I shall use that on Amazon aswell. I have 500 things in my 'wish' basket!!

    ReplyDelete