Welcome to my little green patch. I hope you are blessed, inspired, and even tickled by what you find here!

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

He's an On-Time God, Yes, He Is!

Last Wednesday, I left England to spend a year in America.  Little did I realize on that day, how good God was being to me.  I had stayed up all night, trying to accomplish what I could not.  When the hour for our departure arrived, I was not ready.  An hour later, we left our house for the three hour drive to the airport.  I was exhausted and discouraged with my lack of success in doing all that I desperately wanted to do.  The drive to the airport was long, but I was able to sleep, escaping the flood of emotions I was feeling.

Upon arriving at the airport, we unloaded the van, said our final tearful goodbyes, and headed off on our adventure.  Of course, I focused on the lasts.....my last sunrise, last inhale of English air, my last time saying 'I'm cold' upon walking outside.  Outside, the skies were grey, matching my mood.  Inside, it was quiet, almost peaceful, just what I needed.  My husband and I verbalized our thankfulness to having no lines on checking in, no lines going through security, and no problems finding a place for us to sit together while waiting at our gate.  You would have thought something major had already happened with the lack of chaos at Heathrow.

Things only got better as we embarked.  We noticed lots of empty seats, or I should say rows.  My husband inquired about the situation and found that there were 80 open seats!  How exciting!  As soon as the doors were closed, we were able to spread out, my husband and older son getting a row of seats at the bulkhead all to themselves.  My five year old and I settled down in our own row, ready for a nice nap.

The ten-hour flight was as good as could be expected.  I got a little sleep, watched a show or two, ate some decent food, and arrived safe and sound, and on time.  We easily reclaimed our baggage and made our way to the nearby hotel for a shower and much needed sleep.

Things couldn't have gone any smoother.  It wasn't until the next day that I found out the biggest blessing of all!  Shortly after our flight left England, a volcano erupted in Iceland.  By Thursday morning (less than 24 hours after we left), all flights leaving England had been cancelled due to the ash.  Flights didn't leave England for several days.  Upon hearing this news, I rejoiced at what God had done for me!  I can't image how I would have felt if our flight had been cancelled, with no promise of when we could fly.  I honestly believe that God delivered me from the effects of that unfortunate event, and for that I and truly thankful!  Praise God for His wonderful blessings.......especially the ones we don't even realize!  I am thankful for a God who works for my good, whether I know it or not.  He is always there, He always cares, He always does what is best for me!

3 comments:

  1. Ruth Ann God is indead VERY good! As this was an "act of God", and nothing to do with hunam error, noone was covered by insurance, so not only would you have been stranded here, you would have been out of pocket for your flights!
    I'm so glad we serve an all knowing God!

    ReplyDelete
  2. great to hear from you RuthAnn. Was wondering if you had been affected by the chaos! So pleased you got there smoothly. Love to all from us here. Will miss you at homeschool group on Tues!
    Have a blessed year of furlough, and we pray the Lord will richly reward your faithfulness.
    Paula

    ReplyDelete