Welcome to my little green patch. I hope you are blessed, inspired, and even tickled by what you find here!

Friday, April 2, 2010

I recently saw an article in Readers Digest on what it would be like if teens ruled the country.  The article even suggested that adults might like it!  I was reminded of that this morning, when my 5 year old got up (at 7am, as usual), and I was NOT ready to get up at all! I tried to convince him to get back in bed: "It's not time to get up."  "Come snuggle with mommy."  "You look sleepy."  Of course, all of that was to no avail.  Finally, he went off to take care of himself, and I tried to go back to sleep.

One thing is for sure, once my son is awake, he must have my attention. I do admire his efforts to take care of himself, though!  If my little man ran his world, this is what it would look like:

First, he must have food!  Breakfast:  anything he can reach that does not require a bowl or utensil.  Chocolate, crisps, bread, Capri Suns.  Off to a great start!

Activities: that's easy, too.  He is quite skilled at working the DVD player, so in goes a Disney drama of his choice.  Wrapped in a blanket with a bag of crisps and a Capri Sun, let the film roll!  After breakfast is consumed, it's time to play.  Interactive play with the movie is always the best!  Blocks become buildings, airplanes, guns.....whatever is required. There might be some variety throughout the day - a book here, some trampoline time there, even the XBox if he can get past his brother, but that's about it.  Oh, and colouring!  Who needs paper when a table or wall are near!  (Actually, my little guy has never tried that, but I could see it happening without proper motivation not to!)

I was okay with all of that this morning.  Just let me SLEEP!  Fortunately for me, my 5 year old still asks permission for everything.  So, minutes after he left my side, he's back dangling the bag of crisps in my face, a drink in hand, begging to watch a show.  Poor thing!

Before you think bad of me, I will say I did finally get up. (Not that I had a choice!)  Once I'm up, mornings aren't so bad once my little guys' needs are met.  I even get some quite time myself before the rest of my crew is down stairs making their needs know.

One day I will learn to go to bed earlier so waking up isn't such a drag for me and my little one, but for now I will try to enjoy his need of me, no matter the time.  One day he may stop asking, and I'll wish that day had never come.

No comments:

Post a Comment