Welcome to my little green patch. I hope you are blessed, inspired, and even tickled by what you find here!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Out of the Mouths of Babes

This morning, my little man greeted me with the words, "It snowed again!" I went to the window to see what he was talking about and found that the roofs were covered with frost.  I then proceed to tell my excited son that it wasn't snow but indeed another cold, glistening covering on the earth. Quite indignantly, he tells me it is NOT frost.  It is white on the houses and the grass, so it has to be snow. This determined child of mine would not accept my explanation. Finally, I explained to him the only fact that really mattered at that moment.....I am the adult who knows things, you are the child that needs to listen and learn! Of course, I used a few more words with a bit more patience, but you get the point! He did too, although, he still wasn't very impressed!

This conversation brought me back to the first Beatitude...poverty of spirit. What a peculiar statement that is to me, to be poor in spirit. I've heard different explanations of this phrase over the years, but my current study has really made me focus and think. You see, Jesus says, "Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs in the kingdom of heaven." Jesus is quite literally speaking of our way into heaven! This 'poor in spirit' is not something we can do, it is something we must be. Oh, the joy and satisfaction once understanding and acceptance meet!

You see, the natural man does not possess or demonstrate any poverty of spirit!  We are quite full of spirit!  Our own spirit. Demanding our own way. Pushing our way through to what we want. Complaining when things don't go our way. Pointing our finger at God in mockery without shame. This natural state of man is so easy to see. If you've spent any amount of time with children, you know what I mean.  You do not have to teach a child to do wrong. It comes naturally. Children have to be taught to respect authority, to surrender their will and obey.

I hate to admit it, but this reminds me of something else.  My husband and boys love to wrestle, and the fun is never over until somebody gets hurt. Of course, as a mother, it drives me crazy! My boys always go back for more, hoping to best their dad, but you see, Dad will not be beat.  As a matter of fact, their father is sure to pin then down until they 'cry uncle.' He will not accept 'the cry' unless he is certain it is sincere. (HUSBAND: As proof-reader, I simply would like to say their surrender must be sincere, not their cry.) My boys must completely give up, humble themselves, admitting complete defeat to their 'mighty father', before dad will let them go. Once they get to that point, I'd say they are demonstrating poverty of spirit: the will to fight or resist is now gone because they realize dad is 'the man!'

The same is true for us. Poverty of spirit can only come once we realize who God is. One glimpse of God in all His glory and majesty will cause us to see who we are, or should I say, who we are not! To finally and completely bend our will and way to the Lord, that is poverty of spirit. Only then will you truly surrender to THE Almighty Father, receiving His divine spirit, salvation, and eternal life......in Heaven!  Hallelujah!
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I liked that bit, "This 'poor in spirit' is not something we can do, it is something we must be". I haven't got to *try* and do things to be poor in spirit, it is something I am whether I realize it or not, but the sooner the realization occurs the better. I liked the example of wrestling too.

    (I'm not paranoid about making spelling mistakes...honest!)

    ReplyDelete