Welcome to my little green patch. I hope you are blessed, inspired, and even tickled by what you find here!

Sunday, February 28, 2010

From Milk to Meat: Time to Start Chewing!

I feel like it's been forever since I last wrote.   Friday, I had something to say, but never had time to say it.  Saturday came with a new topic at my fingertips, but again, no time to sit and think.  Today, again, things have been whirling around inside my head.  This time, it is a topic that's been on my mind awhile because it's something I've been studying awhile.  So, although this will take a few sittings to complete, here I sit at 11pm on a Sunday night putting 'pen to paper' trying to get a start.

Three times a year my church ladies and I do a Bible study together. Our little group has grown to ten and not all the ladies are members of our church. One is a fellow home school mom who I met one day on a walk. Seeing this woman with her non-uniformed children and her denim skirt, I felt compelled to stop and talk to this stranger who has now become a friend and fellow Bible student. Another is the sister-in-law of a faithful member of our church and Bible study classes. It turns out this sweet one goes to one of our sister churches, about 40 minutes away. We also have another precious soul coming along to learn; soon to be a born again believer, I pray.

Currently, we are on week six of a wonderful study through the Beatitudes. Such a familiar passage to many, yet, not truly understood or heeded; for as the saying goes, familiarity breeds contempt. To think of having contempt for God's word is unthinkable. However, as I have been studying this passage of scripture, I find that this can easily be so. Not because we want to disregard or devalue what is being taught but because, out of familiarity, we fail to understand what Jesus is really saying. What does Jesus mean by "poor in spirit?"  What is this "mourning" all about?  What is real "meekness" and how do we get it? How can we "hunger and thirst after righteousness" when we don't truly understand what it means to be hungry or thirsty?  This is were we are in our study. Throughout the week, I will expound on these topics and the insight I have gained from this study. In the meantime, I hope you will consider the questions above. Here is the rest of this familiar portion of scripture for your consideration, contemplation, and edification.

Matthew 5:3-12
Blessed are the poor in spirit: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are they that mourn: for the shall be comforted.
Blessed are the meek: for they shall inherit the earth.
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
Blessed are the merciful: for they shall obtain mercy.
Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
Blessed are the peacemakers: for they shall be called the children of God.
Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake: for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
Blessed are ye, when men shall revile you, and persecute you, and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely, for my sake.
Rejoice, and be exceeding glad: for great is your reward in heaven: for so persecuted they the prophets which were before you.

1 comment:

  1. Those verses have spoken to my heart and comforted me many many times.

    ReplyDelete