Welcome to my little green patch. I hope you are blessed, inspired, and even tickled by what you find here!

Wednesday, September 22, 2010

The Law of Kindness

Last Saturday I had the opportunity to participate in a Living Proof Simulcast. I must say that I was very disappointed, even distracted by the 'worship music,' but Beth Moore is still Beth Moore, and I enjoyed her teaching very much.

The topic she spoke on is very interesting to me, especially since it has come to my attention quite a few times over the last couple of weeks. Our verse for the day was Proverbs 31:26, "She openeth her mouth with wisdom, and on her tongue is the law of kindness." From that verse we explored eight 'tastes of biblical kindness.' I found this to be both encouraging and challenging, and I hope it is for you, as well.

I have been acutely aware of the fact that we live in a self-centered, uncaring world. I've noticed it in public places while watching parents interact with their children. I've noticed it in my own children and the way they interact with each other.  I've noticed it in myself, especially when I am tired or feel like I've had enough. I've even witnessed it in the church and the way Christians respond to people in need. We are no longer people prone to words of kindness, let alone acts of kindness.

These are the thoughts I had as Beth proceed to tell why she felt this was a worthy topic for today. "Why should we study this?" She asked. First of all, because we live in a mean world. Just one look around, and we can each see that this is true. II Timothy 3 tells us it is only going to get worse. Secondly, because the scripture says, "She openeth her mouth!" Women are going to talk! One thing Beth pointed out is the fact that we are published authors: blogging, facebooking, texting, commenting.... all this done without an editor!  We need the Holy Spirit to be our editor. Oh, how I know this to be true.

So, our first taste of biblical kindness is this: Kindness is NOT weakness. In Luke 6:35-36, Jesus tells us to love our enemies, to do good to those who don't even appreciate it. It definitely takes a lot of strength to do that! Beth explained the difference between being NICE and being KIND. Nice is when you act towards others without knowing everything there is to know. Kindness is being fully aware of a person's ingratitude, unthankfulness, evil ways, and still making a conscious decision to be kind.

Taste #2 - Kindness is NOT an action. It's a disposition. It's not what we do so much as who we are. This is the kindness that is a fruit of the spirit, found in Galatians 5:22-23. Real biblical kindness cannot be faked. It must be who we are.

Taste #3 - Kindness wears down when you do. Isn't that the truth! Daniel 7:25. Satan wants to wear us down.  When you get to the point of losing it, at first it blesses your flesh. Then things only get worse. What's the answer? Matthew 11:28-30. Jesus says come unto Him all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and HE will give you rest. True rest can only come from the Lord. We also need to be built up! We need to have a couple of close Christian friends to help build us up. People we can be honest with, be accountable to, receive encouragement from (Ephesians 4:12,16, 29). We need the body of Christ to build us up! We need to do it for others and let them do it for us.

Taste #4 - Kindness looks pain in the face. We are surrounded by people in pain. It is often easier to look away. Kindness means not looking away, but looking people in the face and listening. This one really got me. You see, just a couple of days ago I found myself in the laundromat, doing my weekly routine. I noticed an older woman resting her head on a counter nearby. I had been there for over an hour, but never saw her doing any laundry. The more I watched her the more I was overwhelmed with the desire to talk to her and hear her story, but I also knew that I could not help her financially. Just as that thought was passing through my mind, I remembered the disciples saying to a man, "Silver and gold have I none, but such as I have give I you." With that, I knew I had to talk to her. And that is exactly what I did. With tears in my eyes, I told her that I couldn't leave without talking to her. She was quite willing to tell me about herself, how over the last couple of years, after some unfortunate events in her life, she found herself homeless, living from shelter to shelter, struggling to get/keep a job. She finally had a job, and just needed to make it another eight days until she got her first pay check. She didn't asking for any handouts. She wouldn't even let me buy her lunch. She was just so glad that someone actually cared enough to talk to her. I explained to her who I was and proceeded to give her the Gospel. Tears welled up in her eyes as I spoke. She said she had become a Christian at the age of  20 but had wandered away from the Lord. As we departed, I prayed with her and said I hoped we wound see each other again soon. I wish I had the courage to do that more often.

Taste #5 - Kindness is a Saviour. God does not call us to save others but to introduce them to the Saviour, Jesus Christ. He has saved us, not just from Hell but from ourselves.  Jesus was kindness in the flesh, and that's what we need to be to others. Real kindness is telling others about the Lord, no matter how hard it might be.

Taste #6 - Kindness has good memory. Psalm 106:7. The Israelites often forgot the goodness of God. We need to have good memory of what the Lord had done for us.

Taste #7 - Kindness craves an outlet. II Samuel 9:1. David, once the shepherd boy, now as king, is looking for someone to show kindness to. Why? Because he knows the kindness of God! Just like David, we need to look for opportunities to show kindness to those who need it.

Taste #8 - Kindness leaves a legacy. Acts 28:1-2. The natives of Malta showed unusual kindness to Paul and his crew after they were shipwrecked. Even today, a survey showed that 83% of the people of Malta give to charities. These people have a legacy of kindness that continues on today. How much more should God's people pass on this kind of legacy to their children. What kind of legacy am I passing down? This is the question I was left with, and this is the question I leave with you. May we show kindness to someone today.

6 comments:

  1. yay! I was looking forward to this post and you defn did not disappoint! Thanks for sharing these points with us! They were very good!

    And I am experiencing first hand that kindness is not a weakness and the difference in being nice and being kind. I have a difficult relationship that I am working on. It is hard to be kind in this relationship but I am learning it is definitely the better road to take!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really understand, Kellie. I hope this blog has been an encouragement to you. God has to do a work in us before He can do a work through us. I'll pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed that :) I was thinking (and I don't know if this is a principle in the Bible, like He says love your enemies, but I'm thinking more of your 'love' towards someone causing them to 'love' too). I've seen a lot lately how kindness begets kindness, both in me and by my actions towards others. It got me thinking about the phrase Beth Moore often says, 'Hurt people, hurt people'.

    Really interesting thoughts, so glad you wrote something of what you learned :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think you may be on to something, Sue! That reminds me of another saying about children, they learn what they live. I think people can love more by experiencing love from others.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Another great set of insights. I am just beginning ( after 33 yrs of being a Christian) to realise it's not always my job to teach or correct everyone! I just have to be kind to them even if I disagree. There's no need for me to try and put them right or even discuss where we disagree - just be kind! God does the rest and we have then been an encouragment :-)

    ReplyDelete