Welcome to my little green patch. I hope you are blessed, inspired, and even tickled by what you find here!

Monday, September 6, 2010

Summer Lesson #2 - Me and My Children

I've always wanted children, and now that I have them, I love them very much.  I'd have more children if I could (and believe me, I've tried!).  From the moment I'm aware of their existence inside me, I can hardly wait to see their little faces and hold them close in my arms.  Each child is a new and exciting experience.  Pregnancies are different, births are different, and personalities are quite readily apparent, and yes, different.

My children are spread out in age (22, 13, 5). So, as I've ages and grown both spiritually and in maturity, they  have each been raised a little differently, too. This has become painfully apparent to me, thus I feel the need to expound/confess my thoughts on how I've raised my children before I express my new attitude, understand, freedom, and joy at this point in my parenthood.

My parenting style with my daughter was established in my twenties.  I was single, independent, and selfish.  Don't get me wrong, I believe I raised her well, but a lot of the decisions I made were for the wrong reason.  Of course, I wasn't a real Christian then, either.  Can you image being raised by someone who thought they were a Christian, were the only way they could prove their Christianity was through having the perfect 'Christian' child? Perfectly behaved, perfectly smart, perfectly raised in what she thought was the Christian way.  I didn't know that was what I was doing, but it was nonetheless. I did a good job at that, too.  Just ask my daughter - with a hint of bitterness, she can give you a list of the do's and don'ts of growing up with her perfectionist, over-zealous, strict,  misguided mother. (Those are my words, not hers!)  Praise God, we have a good relationship today, and she is still in church, desiring to serve the Lord. Hopefully, she will be able to distinguish between the good and the bad of her childhood before her own children come along.  Like it or not, how we are raised does have an impact on the kind of parents we become.

This brings me to my boys.  My thirteen year old was born at the beginning of my 30s.  Married and a little more settled, this should have been a good time for a child.  Unfortunately, I still was not a real Christian.  Life was chaotic and out-of-focus for me.  We were very involved in church and the Christian school, me still striving to be the right kind of Christian mother, without the power within. It wasn't until I recognized my deficiency and surrendered completely to God, that I could see more clearly and things started to change for my family and me.

Now I'm in my forties.  I'm a child of God, desiring to raise my children for the Lord, to love the Lord, to serve the Lord.  My youngest is only five, and I look forward to completely home-education him!  I've desired to raise my children for the Lord, but without a REAL relationship with God, it was doomed. Now, I find this to be an exciting yet challenging task.  For so long, without realizing it, my focus has been on worldly standards.  Whether you homeschool or not, you have heard the world's view and questioning of homeschooling your children - the quality of education, the need for socialization, the concern of sheltering children from the 'real' world.  "Lions and Tigers and Bears, Oh My!"  That is how those questions use to make me feel.  Of course, you know how it turned out in the Wizard of Oz.  There are worse things to worry about that lions and tigers and bears!

I am so thankful for the advancements in homeschooling and my discover (by way of other wonderful, Christian homeschoolers God has brought across my path) of good curriculum, books, and magazines to help and support our desire to raise our children for the Lord.  This summer I have spent some time reading, and one particle article opened my eyes again to the truth of God's word.

The beautiful Psalms that so many know and love start off quite profoundly with this verse, "Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scournful." Psalm 1:1.  This verse alone in good enough reason for me not to send my God-give children to public school.  I know that's just one verse.  I could site others, but why?  God put that one verse there; we should take heed.  I'm taking heed.

At the same time that I rediscovered this verse, our church bulletin likewise had a quote of great profoundness that captured my attention: "I am much afraid that schools will prove to be the great gates of hell unless they diligently labor in explaining the Holy Scriptures and engrave them in the hearts of youth. I advise no one to place his child where the Scriptures do not reign paramount.  Every institution in which men are not increasingly occupied with the Word of God must become corrupt." Martin Luther wrote this of his time - I wonder what he would say to our public and many Christian school today?!

As I start this school year, I am more resolved  than ever that homeschooling is right for me and my kids.  I have no desire for someone else to spend more waking hours with my children than I do, teaching them, influencing them, disciplining them, ignoring them.  I can provide a good, solid education for my children - ensuring that they get the Biblical perspective, not the world's misinterpretation of the world we live in - and I can personalize it to meet my child's needs. I love that!

And socializing.........that is funny!  My daughter and her husband have a sign on their bookshelf that says something like this - school prepares you for the real world which also stinks.  I personally do not know anyone that would go back to high school if they had the chance.  Why would you?  It not like an episode of Glee or High School Music I, II, or III!  For most, it is a heart-wrenching experience of trying to fit in and be accepted by other people who are doing the same thing and making up their own rules of acceptance as they go along. A matter of fact, many parents have told me that they wish they could home school so they didn't have to witness the pain their children experience.  You know what I say to that.......

Recently, I read a Facebook post by a friend's teenage daughter that is homeschooled.  She commented on the fact that many people ask her silly questions once they know she doesn't go to "real school."  A discussion among several people ensued, mostly mother's that homeschool and why they do it.  The comment was made about homeschooling sheltering children from the real world.  The overwhelming concensus was that that is EXACTLY what we want to do!  Children aren't children for long.  They are only young and impressionable for a short period of time.  The last thing we should want to do is expose them to what the world says is the 'real world.'  For Christians, this world is not the real world.  Our real world must be our relationship with God and His Word.  Children, Christian or not, spending hours upon hours in public schools, will be influenced by this ungodly world in their thinking and probably in their actions and life choices, as well.  It is a rare student that can come above this.

Now that I'm on my rant, their is one more thing that I've heard people say that I believe is actually another example of how the Devil uses God's word to deceive Christians who, for lack of understanding their roll as parents, fall into this trap, resulting in the undermining of the good foundation that may have been set.  Some Christian parents have told me that our children need to go to public school to be 'salt and light' to a lost world.  That sounds good on the surface, but in reality, our children need to first grow in the nurture and admonition of the Word of God before they are thrust into the position of being the minority Christian in an anti-Christian world.   There is so much more I could say about this, but I'll leave you to think about it for yourself.

Needless to say, my eyes have been opened to the importance of taking on the education of my children.  It is the right thing to do, for them and for me.  My biggest obstacle is me.  I must daily take time with my Lord and Saviour, Jesus Christ.  I need to be corrected and taught  myself before I can impart anything of value to my children.  What is the most important thing for a child/teenager to learn?  Against popular belief, it is NOT the three R's.  If my kids are going to be prepared to live in the 'real world', to love the Lord with all their heart, soul, and mind, they need to know that the 'real world' is a world where Jesus Christ reigns supreme.  For without Him, we can do nothing!

I close with the complete thought of Franklin D. Roosevelt that I partially quoted early.  I hope you are inspired to press on and raise your God-given children for the Lord no matter what opposition you face.

"So, first of all, let me assert my firm belief that the only thing we have to fear is fear itself -- nameless, unreasoning, unjustified terror which paralyzes needed efforts to convert retreat into advance." Franklin D. Roosevelt

4 comments:

  1. I rant along there with you dear friend! Today my youngest goes off to UK college after having her first 16 years securely anchored in home education. I have nurtured her and prepared her for what is 'out there' and she is equipped and ready to stand, rather than thrown to the lions as a baby.
    So enthusiastic am I about home ed- I have started a business as a home education consultant. Any of your English readers can check me out here
    www.homeedsuccess.co.uk
    I echo your sentiments at the different style of aprenting at different stages - but the grace of God takes over where we fail! PTL!
    Have a great week - I love reading your updates :-D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Having been home schooled through high school... I have to say that I am so thankful for my mom, who not only kept me out of public school, but also graduated my three brothers from homeschool.

    Socialization? I've taken my kids to the community pool countless times. They are the ones who go up to others and ask if they want to play. They have no problem getting along with others.

    Evangelism? Ephesians 4:11 points out that we all have a different calling. If your child is called to be an evagelist, he will find a way to fulfill that calling whether he is in public school or not. Richard used to ask adults in line at the store if they had Jesus in their heart. Deborah would never be so bold. It's the way God made them. I cannot agree more that you should not throw your babies to the wolves in this area.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Paula, I am so glad you shared you link! Parents need good, experienced support! And yes, the Grace of God is sufficient for all my deficiencies! He knows that I am but dust. Amen to that!

    Bethimus, Thank you so much for your comments. It is good to know adults who can tell of their homeschooling experience. You are right about evangelism.......we are to raise them up in the nurture and admonition of the Lord so they have something to say when the time comes.

    You both are a great encouragement to me! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this the day or day before we started back to lessons a few weeks ago, but didn't have time to comment. Oh, and I LOVE the little quote your daughter has, LOL, made me laugh. This post really encouraged me, I probably ought to read it once a week, such a lot of good encouragement. It's so easy to raise a little brood of 'pharisees', and despite good intentions on a 'mom's part its quite a challenge I feel to not just get your children ticking all the right boxes.

    ReplyDelete